Did you know that you can make a DIY natural first aid spray for your whole family? It’s simple to make and uses natural ingredients, including essential oils, to help heal minor cuts, scrapes, and scratches. It even has the potential to help prevent and fight infection!
I came up with this simple DIY first aid spray as a natural alternative to the antibiotic ointments that are so commonly used today; there are natural remedies that work just as well or even better, in my opinion.
My children love this DIY Natural First Aid Spray. One of the advantages is that you don’t have to touch a child’s scrape or boo to apply it – the spray makes application painless. This spray is gentle and does not sting either.
I also use and highly recommend this First Aid Spray from Herbal Energetics. It’s ready-made and contains even more healing properties than my homemade version. The only downside I’ve experienced is that this spray can sting when applied to cuts and scrapes, so my kids don’t prefer it.
There are times, however, when I insist on using it because it works SO well. You can buy it here: First Aid Spray
Back to this homemade first aid spray…
This DIY natural first aid spray contains a mixure of water, witch hazel, neem oil, and my favorite First Aid essential oil blend from Rocky Mountain Oils. (I will also include recommended individual essential oils later in this post.) This combination has been quite effective at helping my four kids’ cuts and scrapes heal quickly.
Disclaimer: This homemade first aid spray is meant for minor cuts and wounds. For more serious injuries or if you have any questions, check with your healthcare provider before use. Please read my post on essential oil common sense safety before using this blend or other essential oils.
DIY Natural First Aid Spray Ingredients
Witch hazel works as an astringent and helps tighten the skin around the wound which may help reduce bleeding and speed up the healing process. It also has inflammation and pain-soothing properties.
Note: I recommend an alcohol-free Witch Hazel – this is the one I use.
Neem Oil has powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties. Simply put, this means Neem Oil has the potential to help prevent and reduce infection while reducing healing time.
A 2014 study found that topical use of Neem oil, along with the oral use of Haridra powder, was found to be effective in healing chronic non-healing wounds.
Essential Oils in this DIY First Aid Spray:
I use and recommend:
- First Aid essential oil blend from Rocky Mountain Oils. It contains Rosemary, Tea Tree, Clove Bud, and Helichrysum Italicum essential oils, all of which have excellent healing properties.
- Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia) – soothing and calming for the skin – one of my favorite oils for skin health
Individual Essential Oils for Your Natural First Aid Spray:
These essential oils have various properties that may help heal cuts and scrapes and prevent/heal infection.
You can try one or more in your first aid spray and discover which combination works best for you and your family.
- Lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- Clove essential oil (Syzygium aromaticum) – Safety Note: always dilute before use as it is a “hot” oil, meaning it may cause irritation without dilution
- Oregano essential oil (Origanum vulgare) – Safety: always dilute before use as it is a “hot” oil, meaning it may cause irritation without dilution
- Helichrysum essential oil (Helichrysum italicum)
- Rosemary essential oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Myrrh essential oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Cumin essential oil (Cuminum cyminum) – Safety: Do not use cumin essential oil during pregnancy as it can stimulate blood flow to the uterus. Avoid direct sun exposure for up to 12 hours after application as it may cause photo-sensitivity
- Spikenard essential oil (Nardostachys jatamansi) – Safety: Do not use during pregnancy as it may stimulate the uterus.
How to Make Your DIY Natural First Aid Spray
- a glass bottle with a spray nozzle- I use this 2 oz size
- small metal funnel, optional
- about 1 oz of water
- about 1 Tbsp neem oil
- about 3/4 oz witch hazel – I use this alcohol-free witch hazel
- 20-30 drops of essential oils*
- free printable label – download here
You can use a smaller or larger spray bottle – just adjust the quantities accordingly.
Fill your 2-ounce glass bottle about halfway with water.
Add about 1 tablespoon of neem oil. I always estimate as neem oil is messy and it’s harder to measure.
Add 20-30 drops of your preferred essential oils.
*I use 25 drops of Rocky Mountain Oil’s First Aid essential oil blend along with 10 drops of lavender essential oil for my DIY First Aid Spray. You may use the same or your own preferred combination of essential oils. See below for safety and using this First Aid Spray with young children.
Fill the rest of the bottle with witch hazel.
Cap with the spray nozzle.
Print, cut out, and tape on this free printable label we’ve made for you or use a label maker or masking tape to label.
Shake well before use.
How to Use this Natural First Aid Spray
Always shake well before use to distribute the oils as they tend to separate.
Spray as needed onto minor cuts and scrapes.
If you choose to put on a bandage, gently blot around the wound before applying the bandage so it will stick.
Reapply your natural first aid spray as needed.
For my kids, I usually only apply this once and the cut/scrape heals quickly on its own without further intervention.
First Aid Spray and Young Children:
If you have toddlers or young children, please do your own research and check with your healthcare provider before using this homemade first aid spray. You may also choose to only use water and a small amount of witch hazel with a reduced amount of essential oils (10-20 drops.)
I have personally used Neem Oil and essential oils on my children when they were toddlers/very young without any side effects and only saw positive benefits. However, only you can decide if it is safe and right for your family.
I hope you enjoy this simple natural first aid spray as much as my family has.
Have a safe and healthy summer!
Which Essential Oil Brand is Best?
For the best results, you will want to choose a high-quality essential oil brand that is 100% pure and offers third-party testing for quality control.