This favorite baked macaroni and cheese is easy to make and a tasty alternative to processed boxed mac ‘n cheese. Even picky kids love it!
- Cook macaroni noodles and drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Slowly add milk, stirring. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes. Turn off the burner and add the cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until the cheese is melted. Add the elbow macaroni noodles and mix well.
- Turn into a 2 quart casserole dish or 9×13″ pan.
- Mix together 2 TB melted, butter, 4 TB bread crumbs, and a dash of pepper. Sprinkle over the mac ‘n cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Note: this recipe makes about 12 servings or more, so you can halve it if you don’t need that much.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 372mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Keywords: baked casserole, homemade macaroni and cheese, with bread crumbs