This easy-to-make insect repellent lotion uses non-toxic ingredients, including essential oils, to repel mosquitoes, ticks, gnats, and is safe for kids too!
- 1/3 cup of fractionated coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 oz of beeswax (which is just one stick from what you can order here.)
- 1 tsp. of vitamin E oil
- 2 Tbsp. of Organic Shea Butter
- 8 oz jam sized mason jar
- Lemon Eucalyptus – Rocky Mountain Oils | Eden’s Garden
- Citronella – Rocky Mountain Oils | Eden’s Garden
- Cedarwood – Rocky Mountain Oils | Eden’s Garden
- Geranium – Rocky Mountain Oils | Eden’s Garden
To start making your DIY insect repellent lotion, add 1/3 cup fractionated coconut oil, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1 oz beeswax, 1 tsp. vitamin E oil, and 2 Tbsp of organic shea butter to a microwave safe glass measuring cup.
You will want to microwave the oil in 30 second intervals, with stirring in-between, until all of the oils and butters are fully melted. The beeswax takes the longest to melt – so breaking it up and stirring more in-between heatings will help it dissolve faster.
When your lotion base is fully melted and well stirred, then its time to start adding essential oils. Add 15 drops each of lemon eucalyptus, citronella, geranium, cedarwood and tea tree oil.
Stir until all of the oils are well mixed, and pour into an 8 oz glass mason jar. Let it cool for a few hours before applying it to your skin.