- 2.5 cups sliced and chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk *or sour milk (add 1 tbs lemon juice to glass measuring cup, add milk to make 1 cup and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a medium saucepan, mix the strawberries and cornstarch. Heat on medium heat until strawberries start to get juicy, stirring occasionally. Heat until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in cinnamon and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for the topping. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the remaining mixture. Stir in the buttermilk and eggs until moistened.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of the batter into a greased
8 inchsquare pan. Spread the strawberry mixture over this. Drop the remaining batter over the strawberry mixture. It may not cover it completely but that’s fine. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Cool on a wire rack.