With its light tasty flavor and bursts of apple chunk goodness throughout, this Apple Coffee Cake is a perfect recipe for this time of year.
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening (I use regular)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (approx 3 medium-sized apples)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TB cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, Combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Stir in apples. Transfer to a greased 9x13x2″ pan or 2 8″ square pans.
- For topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- *recipe credit goes to Taste of Home and can be found here