With rum extract and nutmeg, these cookies are full of holiday flavor.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2–1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (dairy, not cool whip)
- ground nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the nutmeg, egg, and extracts; mix thoroughly. Stir in flour. If necessary, chill dough for easier handling.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into 1/2 inch diameter rolls; cut each into 3 inch long pieces. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, cream butter until lightly browned. Add 2 cups of sugar and extracts; mix well. Beat in cream and remaining sugar. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with nutmeg.