The delicious flavor of cinnamon and nutmeg meld perfectly with the “secret” ingredient in this quick and simple homemade apple crisp.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread the apples in a 13x9x2″ glass dish.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the apples.
- Next combine the brown sugar, flour, and oats. Cut in the cold butter (about 1 tablespoon at a time) until crumbly. It will be pretty dry and not as “crumbly” as other recipes, but that’s ok. Sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Sprinkle the vanilla extract over the top.
- Bake, uncovered for 25-40 minutes (depends on the thickness of the apples.) The crisp should be bubbling. Poke the apples with a fork – they should be soft but not mushy.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Don’t overcook the crisp – you don’t want mushy apples!