A quick-and-easy homemade version of Orange Chicken and Rice that’s sure to become a favorite meal
- 4 cups brown rice, prepared according to box directions
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (about 2 pounds), and lightly pounded so the breasts are even thickness.
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup agave (or omit and use ½ cup honey total)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 TBS cornstarch
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
- In a large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over chicken breasts, on both sides. Add chicken to skillet, and cook on medium high for 4 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- In a medium bowl combine orange juice through cornstarch; whisk well to combine. Pour into skillet, and bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Sauce will begin to thicken, turn heat down to low; allow to simmer 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken breasts from skillet and slice into pieces. Place ½ – ¾ cup of brown rice into bowl, top with chicken breast slices. Spoon sauce over the top; garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: 4