- 1 package (1/4 oz) or 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- course salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar and salt and mix. Add 3 cups of flour and combine. Add 1/2 to 1 cup more of flour as needed. Knead for 5-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape into pretzel twists or shapes as desired. Place on lined greased baking sheets. Brush with an egg; sprinkle with course salt.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.