Tasty Chicken and Rice Casserole that’s both gluten-free and dairy-free and tastes so amazing that your entire family will love it.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, divided
- 4 minced garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp gluten-free flour 1-to-1 mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (regular, not vanilla)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I use this.)
- 4 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 3 cups cooked rice (I use Jasmine rice.)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
- If your chicken isn’t already cooked (leftover chicken works great for this recipe), cook it however you prefer. I like to cook 2-3 chicken breasts in water over the stove. I bring a med-large pot of water to a boil with the chicken already in it, then turn down to medium heat and cover while it simmers for 20-30 minutes. Check for doneness and remove when cooked through. Don’t overcook or your chicken will be too tough.
- At the same time, cook your rice according to package directions. (I use jasmine rice and cook it in my instant pot.)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, saute the onion and celery in the coconut oil until tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the gluten-free flour and gradually stir in the almond milk. Cook and stir until somewhat thick and bubbling (about 2 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken (be sure to measure it), rice, and peas and stir.
- Spoon into a 9x13x2″ baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 Tbsp coconut oil and mix together with 3/4 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes or until starting to bubble.
Note: we use Miracle Whip (with olive oil, so there is no high fructose corn syrup) for this recipe. I have not tested this recipe with other mayonnaise brands.