I’m on a strawberry kick lately, but can you blame me? It’s strawberry season!
This Best-Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe is a family favorite. I grew up with my mom making it every summer and now it’s a tradition with my own family.
Bursting with strawberry flavor and a tangy touch of rhubarb, this Strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe is really easy to make. It only takes a few minutes to put together, followed by 45 minutes in the oven. Just about anyone can make it.
And yes, we call it “The Best Strawberry Rhubarb Pie” because it’s THAT good. I haven’t met a person yet who doesn’t like it (Save for my brother, who doesn’t like strawberries. But he’s just weird. Who doesn’t like strawberries?!!)
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
*Note: this will fill a 9″ pie plate; if you have a smaller pie plate, you can use fewer strawberries/rhubarb.
Heat the oven to 425°.
Slice the strawberries and gently toss together with the rhubarb.
Line a pie plate with a pie crust and put half the strawberries/rhubarb in the bottom.
Stir the sugar, flour, and orange peel together.
Sprinkle half over the strawberry rhubarb in the pie crust.
I had a little beggar (Lukey) sneak up and snatch a piece of the pie crust while I was stirring the flour together. Oops!
Bite-out-of-crust aside….repeat with the remaining strawberries/rhubarb and flour mixture and dot with the sliced butter.
Cover with the second crust. Pinch the edges together and flute or crimp the edges of the pie crust. In this case, I used a fork.
Cut 3-4 slits in the top with a knife and sprinkle with a little sugar.
Cover the edges of the pie with a shield or foil. This will keep the edges of the pie crust from getting too brown or burnt.
I highly recommend buying a pie shield – it’s a baking essential in my kitchen and worth every penny of the $5-10 cost. Here’s a link to one at Amazon (affiliate link) that’s like mine: Norpro Silicone Pie Crust Shield
Bake your Strawberry Rhubarb Pie at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is browned and juice bubbles through the slits. Mmmmm….
- 2 pie crusts (for top and bottom)
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon orange peel
- 2.5 cups rhubarb, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 3–4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Gently toss the strawberries and rhubarb together. Put half into the pie crust.
- Stir the sugar, flour, and orange peel; sprinkle half over the strawberry rhubarb in the pie crust. Repeat with the remaining strawberry/rhubarb and sugar. Dot with sliced butter.
- Cover with the top crust and seal the edges. Cut slits in the top. Sprinkle with a little sugar. Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil or pie crust shield to prevent the edges from burning.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is browned and the juice bubbles through the slits.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.