Doesn’t this look delicious? It’s Rhubarb Spice Cake with a dollop of fresh spiced whipped cream. And it tastes even better than it looks.
Rhubarb Spice Cake with Fresh Spiced Whipped Cream
A couple of days ago, I told you about the 2012 Hood New England Dairy Cook-off, where home cooks from New England can submit an original recipe for the chance to win $10,000. And I’ll be going to the big cook-off event in Providence, Rhode Island on October 21st. I’m very excited about this – blogging and cooking?! It’s right up my alley!
I was sent a copy of the 2011 Hood Cook-Off Cookbook with the 30 winning recipes from last year. Since our neighbor had just given us a nice bunch of fresh rhubarb, I decided to make the Rhubarb Spiced Baby Cakes recipe, submitted by Kimberly Parsons of Maine.
I don’t have mini/baby cake pans so I changed it slightly to make one large Rhubarb Spice Cake.
The result is this scrumptious, flavorful spice cake using one of my favorite seasonal fruits – rhubarb!
How to Make Rhubarb Spice Cake:
It didn’t take long for my family to start clamoring for a taste of this yummy rhubarb spice cake!
It’s amazing. This is my favorite rhubarb recipe ever. And I’ve made quite a few, including Rhubarb Custard Bars that I’ve shared with you.
Without further ado, here is the recipe, with my “large cake” modifications:Print
Rhubarb Spiced Cake with Spiced Whipped Cream
- Prep Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 TB sour cream
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1.5 cups rhubarb, chopped small
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- CREAM CHEESE DRIZZLE:
- 1.5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 TB butter, softened
- 1 TB Hood whole milk
- splash of vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- SPICED WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups Hood Heavy Cream
- 1 TB sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup candied ginger *I just sprinkled regular spice ginger
- Whip the butter until it’s fluffy and add the brown sugar, egg, sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; beat one minute, then fold in rhubarb. Pour into a greased and floured (I use Joy baking spray) tubed or bundt pan.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the top of the cake. Cut through a couple of times with a knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approx 45 minutes, or until tests done. Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing the cake from pan and cooling completely.
- Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Add more milk or powdered sugar to get a desired glaze consistency. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
- Whipped Cream:
- Combine the heavy cream, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Serve cake with a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle candied ginger or regular spice ginger over the whipped cream.