Welcome! I’m Erika and I’m the creator behind Living Well Mom.
I live in beautiful central New Hampshire with my wonderful husband and four lively kids, Nathan, Emily, Joshua, and Luke (ages 7-15) I love writing, green tea, and animals, especially my flock of backyard chickens
I’ve been blogging since 2007 when I started an online journal sharing my life as a stay-at-home mom. Blogging has since grown into something much more – an outlet for my creativity and a way to share my life with other moms, especially my passion for living healthier without all the stress of doing it perfectly!
My husband is Nate; he’s my biggest cheerleader, always encouraging me to press forward to my dreams. He’s also convinced that my goal is to turn him into a farmer. (Maybe.)
We have a lot of chickens and added two goats to our little homestead two years ago. (We have a cocker spaniel, cat, and bunnies too.)
What is Living Well Mom all about?
Here at Living Well Mom, you will find practical tips for living your life healthier and happier…one day at a time!
It’s so important to be realistic about living ‘healthy’ and doing what works for YOU and your family, not trying to follow an impossible list of rules. For more on that, click here.
Health and wellness because life is a journey and you don’t have to figure it all out today.
- easy recipes
- support for autism moms
- tips for stressing less and enjoying life more
- health and wellness tips for living life more naturally
- how to use essential oils along with easy homemade & DIY ideas
- activities for kids
- parenting insight
- and more!
And all with a real down-to-earth approach, because if you’re looking for “perfect,” you won’t find that here at Living Well Mom.
I’ve created two Facebook groups for moms who have a child (or teen) who has autism. They are free to join. If you’re an autism mom too, please check them out here:
High Functioning Autism Moms Living Well – this Facebook group is a general support group for autism moms. It’s a safe place for moms to vent and find encouragement, along with supporting others. The #1 rule? Be kind. Click here to request to join.
Natural Autism Support for Moms & Dads – this is a Facebook group for moms and dads who are interested in helping their kids/teens who have autism more naturally. We talk about everything from homeopathy, essential oils, CBD oil to diet modifications, supplements, and more. Whether you’re new to natural options and are curious what’s worked for other moms or you’re a pro and would love to share what’s worked for you and your child, I’d love to have you join us. Click here to request to join.
A Few More Things:
I’ve struggled with health issues myself for years, including fatigue, low energy, difficulty losing weight, and a host of other health issues that got worse and worse. I even had a hysterectomy when I was 29.
In 2014, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and began my journey to finally getting better. Two years ago, I learned I had leaky gut and overhauled my diet completely, saying goodbye to gluten, grains, dairy, refined sugar, eggs, and other foods. I’m not so restricted now but I listen to my body and have found that gluten-free works best for me. And finally, I’m feeling better with more energy, clarity, and strength than I’ve had in a very long time.
I love to encourage other women, especially moms. I’ve been through dark days of depression, where I felt like nothing I did mattered and I want you to know that YOU do matter. No matter where you are at in life, you have a purpose and you can make a difference.
29 Fun Facts:
- Living Well Mom used to be known as Musings From a Stay At Home Mom. I rebranded in Oct 2015.
- I love Jesus with all my heart; He’s set me free from years of heartache and turned my life around.
- It makes me sad when I see Christians being so mean and judgmental to others.
- I’m far from perfect. Definitely not Pinterest perfect. And I don’t have it all together.
- I have fun organizing. I find it quite satisfying to declutter and transform problem areas in my home.
- That doesn’t mean my house is neat or clean. I hate cleaning.
- I don’t always follow my own advice. I haven’t followed my microfiber couch cleaning tip in far too long.
- I sometimes think I can do everything and then get upset with myself when I can’t. (Um hello, self. That’s kinda not possible.)
- I have no fashion sense whatsoever.
- Chicken math is a real thing. I know because I have it.
- I homeschooled my kids up until a few years ago. Read here to find out why I quit homeschooling.
- I myself was homeschooled from second grade all the way through 12th. I have my diploma because I graduated through an accredited correspondence school.
- I got accepted to many schools, but I never went to college and don’t regret it at all.
- I married my wonderful husband, Nate, when I was just 19, in 2001.
- I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 years old. Click here to read the whole story.
- Friends is my absolute favorite TV show. I also like Parks and Recreation, The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, ER, Big Bang Theory, and Longmire.
- I get anxious around crowds, but not as much as I used to.
- I’m originally from Ohio, but I’ve lived in New Hampshire for most of my life.
- I’m a very loyal friend, but I sometimes think people won’t want to be my friend because I’m not that great.
- I worry too much about what other people think of me.
- I don’t have a creative bone in my body when it comes to crafting or DIY projects. Most ideas here at LWM are from my awesome contributor team.
- I used to be an extreme couponer. I’m not anymore. Kinda hard to do when you’re eating Paleo in small-town NH.
- I’m 5’8″, but I’m one of the shorter people in my family. Both of my brothers tower over me and even my mom is an inch taller. My sister is about my height.
- Opera singing makes me laugh hysterically. I try not to laugh. Really, I do.
- I have a sushi addiction. It’s an awful thing because it’s so darn expensive.
- I hate Ferris wheels. I don’t like heights and dangling up there swinging around scares the crap out of me. That is so NOT fun.
- The mountains are my happy place. Preferably without any people around.
- My dream is to publish a book someday. I’ve already written some ebooks and I’d love to get a book deal.
- I adore comments and emails from readers. You are incredible people and I learn so much from you!
My Top 15 Favorite Posts:
- Dear Mom of a Child With High-Functioning Autism
- Easy Green Tea Latte
- When You Feel Like a Failure…
- DVD Organization: How to Fit a Lot of Movies into a Small Space
- Chore Sticks: The Simple DIY Chore System for Kids That Works
- Healthy Guilt-Free Chocolate Mousse recipe
- DIY Mess-Free Cat Litter Box (Less than $6!)
- The Simple Solution to Reducing Everyday Stress
- Green Tea Fudge recipe (Dairy-Free, Paleo)
- Why Healthy Living Doesn’t Have to Be All or Nothing
- How a Laundry Routine Saved My Sanity
- The Secret to Being Yourself
- DIY Recipe Binder (Free Printable)
- The Easy Method for Organizing Kids’ Clothes
- Chocolate Mint Balls (Paleo, Gluten-Free)
Questions or comments? Email me at erika(at)livingwellmom(dot)com