In light of Joshua’s recent allergy diagnosis, we decided to rip up the carpet in the boys’ room and refinish the wood floor underneath. Ironically, when we bought this house 8 years ago, there was just wood and we had carpet put in. (I’m from Ohio and grew up with carpet – I love how cozy it is. I do not love how hard it can be to clean though!)
This was the boys’ room before:
Yep, that’s Luke.
On Friday (a week ago), Nate started by taking out all the beds and furniture (not a small task with a heavy wooden bunk bed, three mattresses, and two dressers.) Where did they go? In our bedroom of course. Yes, for an entire week my room was taken over by the kids’ stuff. Completely taken over. We could hardly walk through it.
Can you tell it was a long week?
Ooops, I’m getting sidetracked.
Furniture gone. Then Nate ripped up the carpet.
The weirdo people before us had put stick-on linoleum tiles around part of the room. Why?!!!
Nate had to take it up using a blowdryer to melt the glue.
By that point, it was late Friday night. The kids? They were sleeping on the living room floor.
Which also meant that we had no place to relax. Except our bedroom. Which was filled with the kids’ furniture.
On Saturday morning, Nate rented a heavy duty floor sander and spent the day sanding the floor to a nice smooth finish. Of course with our house being so old, the floor boards were anything but even so it took longer than we had expected.
No photos of this step because there was so much dust, I didn’t dare take my camera near it.
By Sunday morning, Nate put on a coat of stain. That required a minimum 4-6 hours of dry time. Somehow it dried weird and part of the floor was nice and dark while the other part was lighter. A second coat was required. By this point, it was Sunday afternoon.
(What was I doing? Trying to keep the dust to a minimum and dealing with now cranky children because they had slept (or not) on the living room floor for two nights. The older three were okay, but Luke did not sleep well. He was not used to the different environment and he was constantly up and running around until late at night (normal bedtime is 7 pm so you can imagine the cranks later on.)
Nate took Monday off from work to finish the floor. The last step was to apply a protective coating of polyurethane. Actually it turned into three coats, each taking 2-3 hours to dry.
Monday night, the floor was finished but the smell was too strong to put the kids back into the room. So that was night #4 spent on the living room floor. At that point, I was just as worn out because my whole house was torn up for four days straight. Funny how that happens when it was just one room having work done.
I was especially worn out with Luke, who had turned into a complete little Bear.
(Bear is my term for a super-cranky, unreasonable, difficult to deal with child. Yet still cute.)
Because not only was he not sleeping well at night, but he was missing his afternoon naps.
Thankfully, by Tuesday night, the room had aired out enough that we could bring their mattresses into the room and the kids could sleep in their room.
On Friday, we finally moved the furniture in and things were back to normal. I was so happy to have my room back!
Our planned 2 day project took an entire week to complete. Apparently we were pretty naive about the timing. Haha. But that’s okay. I’m happy with the results. The floor is so smooth and pretty and knowing Joshua will be able to breathe better, makes it 100% worth it.