This simple recipe for 6-ingredient apple dumplings is so easy to make, it’s perfect for letting your kids help you bake. This apple dessert might become a fall favorite for your family just like it has for mine!
I spent my childhood climbing the apple trees on my Grandmother’s farm. I have fond memories of picking the apples and watching my Grandma can applesauce& apple pie filling in her farm’s kitchen each fall. It was always a special treat when my Great Aunt would take a bag of apples home and return with Apple Dumplings to share.
This time of year, apples are everywhere! We can find them on sale a the grocery store, the farmers market, or even go pick our own at the orchard. So I thought I would share my Great Aunt’s Easy 6-Ingredient Apple Dumpling recipe that is perfect for cooking with your children and using up those abundant apples.
Easy 6-Ingredient Apple Dumplings
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Core and cut each of your two apples into 8 slices, so you end up with 16 total apple slices. Peeling the apples is optional. The recipe calls for Golden Delicious apples, but you can easily substitute another type of apple.
In a gallon size Ziploc bag, mix one cup of sugar and one tablespoon of cinnamon.
Toss your 16 apple slices into the bag and shake until the apple slices are coated with cinnamon sugar. Do not discard the leftover cinnamon sugar- you’ll be using it up later!
Separate the crescent roll dough into triangles, roll one apple slice in each triangle…
….and place the rolled apples in your 9×13 baking dish. Your apple rolls will be pretty close together, even touching.
Now sprinkle all that leftover cinnamon sugar over the tops of the apple dumpling rolls.
Cut the stick of salted butter into 16 pieces and place one piece on top of each dumpling.
Pour 2 cups of ginger ale around the edges of the pan and between your dumplings.
Place the pan in your preheated oven and bake about 45 min. The tops should be very brown and the apples soft.
Allow the apple dumplings to cool down to just warm, which will thicken up the liquid in the dumpling pan.
Enjoy your Apple Dumplings while they are warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!Print
My Great Aunt’s Apple Dumpling recipe that is perfect for cooking with your children and using up those abundant apples.
- 2 Golden Delicious apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tubes of crescent rolls
- 1stick of salted butter
- 2 cups of ginger ale
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Core and cut 2 Golden Delicious apples into 8 slices each. (peeling is optional)
- Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a gallon size Ziploc bag.
- Add the 16 apple slices and shake until the apples are well coated with cinnamon sugar.
- Separate the crescent rolls into triangles, and roll one apple slice in each triangle.
- Place the dumplings in the 9×13 pan. Pour any leftover cinnamon sugar from the Ziploc bag onto of the dumplings.
- Cut the stick of butter into 16 slices. Top each dumpling with a pat of butter.
- Pour 2 cups of ginger ale into the 9×13 pan. Try to pour around the edges and between dumplings.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Calories: 2180
- Sugar: 280g
- Sodium: 1138mg
- Fat: 97g
- Saturated Fat: 59g
- Unsaturated Fat: 31g
- Trans Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 337g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 267mg