Looking for a filling healthy dinner that practically makes itself? Look no further than these crockpot chicken tacos! With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe checks all the boxes for a great meal – it’s affordable, delicious, easy, and…my kids LOVE it.
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
My family is obsessed with Mexican food. I have two somewhat picky eaters, but they will ALWAYS eat tacos. And who can blame them? Tacos are so good!
Plus they’re usually simple to make, so that’s even better. That’s particularly true in this recipe – it’s as easy as tossing in your ingredients and hitting a few buttons!
This is seriously one of the best meals EVER. And it’s so unbelievably easy to prepare that you’ll find yourself saying “No, it can’t be THAT easy.” (I did when a friend first gave me the recipe 10 years ago.)
But this slow cooker meal really is THAT simple. You literally just toss a few ingredients in the slow cooker and can head off to do whatever you’re doing that day. Then about 30 minutes before you need to serve dinner, you shred the chicken and add the cream cheese. That’s it!
Looking for another easy and delicious way to serve chicken for dinner? You’ve got to try this easy Hawaiian chicken recipe!
Shredded Chicken Tacos in a Slow Cooker – Perfect for Everyone!
I’m not joking when I say this recipe has universal appeal. Literally everyone who has tried this dish loves it and has begged for the recipe.
I’ve brought Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos to potlucks and it’s been gobbled up. I’ve made it as a meal for sick friends or loved ones who just had a baby or a loss. Yes, I’ve made it for lots and lots of guests too! Including groups of kids. It’s a hit all around!
My favorite way to make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos is as an easy middle-of-a-busy-week dinner for my family. I usually make it twice a month and no one ever tires of it.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Let me show you just how simple it is to make these tacos. You’ll need about 10 minutes of hands-on time total!
- chicken breast (stock up when it’s on sale!)
- chunky salsa
- taco seasoning (grab our easy homemade taco seasoning recipe here!)
- softened cream cheese
- tortilla wraps (or whatever else you want to serve this shredded chicken in/on)
- your choice of toppings – lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, sour cream, cheese, etc.
Step by Step Directions
First, place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and season with half the taco seasoning. Turn over and season with the remaining taco seasoning.
Then, add the salsa on top and cook on medium-high for 4 hours. (Alternatively, you could cook on low for 6-8 hours.)
Next, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set aside. Add the cream cheese to the sauce in the slow cooker and cover.
Shred the chicken with a fork (or simply toss in your stand mixer for even quicker shredding.)
Back to the slow cooker – stir in the cream cheese until well incorporated:
Add the chicken back in and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
The next time you need an easy meal for a busy weeknight, try this Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. You and your family are going to love it!
How to Serve Shredded Chicken Tacos
Since our family is now gluten-free, we make this dinner using gluten-free tortilla wraps. Or hard taco shells. (Though tortilla wraps are our favorite way.) A few other options include:
- serve over a bed of greens to make a delicious salad
- scoop over a bed of rice
- serve with crackers or toast for an open-face sandwich
- scramble with eggs for a fun brunch idea
- sprinkle it over a pizza with chopped tomatoes and a Mexican blend cheese
- eat it right out of the bowl – no judgment here!
The Best Toppings for Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Part of the fun of taco night is getting to personalize your tacos with toppings! This is especially true for kids—it’s nice to let them choose their own. Some of our favorite options include:
- diced tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- chopped onion
- sour cream
- taco sauce*
*You may not need any salsa or taco sauce at all! These crockpot chicken tacos have a delicious salsa and cream cheese sauce that’s seasoned with taco spices. It’s so tasty!
There you have it! Your new favorite weeknight meal! Give it a try and let me know in the comments below how you like this one.
More Slow Cooker Dinners:
- Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Stew
- Easy Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Beanless Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
This crowd-pleasing recipe is unbelievably easy to make and it’s so delicious, it will quickly become a favorite family dinner.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 360
- Total Time: 6 hours 5 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 16 oz chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (grab our easy homemade taco seasoning recipe here!)
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 12–18 tortilla wraps
- toppings – lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, sour cream, cheese, etc.
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and season with half the taco seasoning. Turn over and season with the remaining taco seasoning. Add the salsa on top and cook on medium-high for 4 hours. (Alternatively, you could cook on low for 6-8 hours.)
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set aside. Add the cream cheese to the sauce in the slow cooker and cover. Shred the chicken with a fork (or simply toss in your mixer for even quicker shredding.) Stir in the cream cheese until well incorporated and add the chicken back. Cook for another 15-30 minutes.
- Serve on tortilla wraps with your favorite taco toppings.
- To make this dinner go farther, use less of the chicken mixture and more toppings on each tortilla wrap. (The kids won’t even notice and you might even have leftovers.)
- Serving Size: 6
Pin the image below to save the recipe for later!