As the days grow shorter and colder, I love to pull out my big stock pot and make soup and stews for my family. I just love soup; it warms me down to my bones!
Would you believe I never made soup up until a couple years ago? I know! I was missing out big time! Soup is an amazing thing because there are almost limitless options. Most soup recipes are easy to make, requiring minimal time in the kitchen, and often you can add the ingredients in a slow cooker and walk away!
This savory recipe for Thai Butternut Squash Soup is one of my favorite meals this time of year. It’s pretty much comfort food in a bowl without the guilt!
Thai Butternut Squash Soup is Paleo-friendly and good for you! With delicious vegetables and a creamy sauce made from coconut milk, this satisfying fall soup is a real crowd pleaser.
This easy recipe is a great way to enjoy one of fall’s most abundant veggies – butternut squash.
I can almost always find cut-up butternut squash in our grocery store’s produce department year round, so I usually make this butternut squash soup well into the winter and spring too. (I love convenience like that!)
Because this savory fall soup is meatless, it’s budget friendly too. If you eat a gluten free or Paleo diet, you know just how expensive it can be, so if you’re like me, you jump all over an inexpensive dinner for your family!
I usually make this recipe twice a month for my family and frequently double the recipe because it’s perfect for leftovers. I love serving this with a side of green vegetables, such as broccoli or green beans.
Once the soup is done cooking, you simply whip it up in the blender and the result is a beautiful thick and creamy puree.
See why you need to try this soup recipe now?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder*
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 butternut squash (about 2.5 lb) peeled, seeded, and cut into ¾ inch chunks
- 3-4 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cups chicken broth*
- 1 13.5oz can full fat coconut milk
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- Saute the onions, celery, carrots in the olive oil in a dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the spices; add the squash, potatoes, broth, and coconut milk; bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until squash and potatoes are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Puree in batches in a blender; rewarm if needed. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
*Add more or less curry powder depending on how spice you prefer it to be