Cottage Cheese Potatoes is a simple twist on classic mashed potatoes. Everyone who has ever tried it has asked me for the recipe. And it’s easy to see why; with cottage cheese and a few simple ingredients, these potatoes are simply irresistible.
Plus Cottage Cheese Potatoes are just as easy to make as regular mashed potatoes and taste so much better!
Seriously, this recipe really does spoil you when it comes to regular mashed potatoes!
My grandmother made Cottage Cheese Potatoes for every holiday I can remember. And later, a Grandma lived in Ohio and I grew up in New Hampshire, my mom served it for our own holidays.
Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter dinners weren’t the same without this favorite side dish dripping with butter and seasoned with paprika!
Now, I continue the tradition of our Cottage Cheese Potatoes with my own family. Everyone loves it and gobbles it up every time. I’ve had so many requests for this recipe over the years, I figured it was high time I shared it here with you.
So here is our family’s recipe for Cottage Cheese Potatoes:Print
With cottage cheese and a few simple ingredients, Grandma’s twist on mashed potatoes is simply irresistible!
- Peel the potatoes and cut into medium sized pieces. Place in a large pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes plus an inch or two. Bring to a boil and cook for 20-35 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through, but not too soft. Test with a fork.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the water and place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer or your stand mixer, begin mashing the potatoes. Cut your stick of butter into pieces and add as you are mixing. (Save 2 Tbsp butter for later.) The hot potatoes will melt the butter as you mix.
- Mix in the onion powder and chopped onion or dried minced onion. (Add more or less onion powder to taste.) Scrape the sides as needed.
- Your potatoes should be nicely mashed by this point. Gently fold in the cottage cheese as you mix on low or with a spoon. Don’t overmix.
- Turn your cottage cheese potatoes into a two quart casserole dish. Top with little pats of butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.
I hope you enjoy Cottage Cheese Potatoes as much as we do!