Cottage Cheese Potatoes is a simple twist on classic mashed potatoes. Everyone who has ever tried it has asked me for the recipe. And it’s easy to see why; with cottage cheese and a few simple ingredients, these potatoes are simply irresistible.
Plus Cottage Cheese Potatoes are just as easy to make as regular mashed potatoes and taste so much better!
Seriously, this recipe really does spoil you when it comes to regular mashed potatoes!
My grandmother made Cottage Cheese Potatoes for every holiday I can remember. And later, as Grandma lived in Ohio and I grew up in New Hampshire, my mom served it for our own holidays.
Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter dinners weren’t the same without this favorite side dish dripping with butter and seasoned with paprika!
Now, I continue the tradition of our Cottage Cheese Potatoes with my own family. Everyone loves it and gobbles it up every time. I’ve had so many requests for this recipe over the years, I figured it was high time I shared it here with you.
So here is our family’s recipe for Cottage Cheese Potatoes:Print
Cottage Cheese Potatoes
With cottage cheese and a few simple ingredients, Grandma’s twist on mashed potatoes is simply irresistible!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Peel the potatoes and cut into medium-sized pieces. Place in a large pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes plus an inch or two. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through, but not too soft. Test with a fork.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the water and place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer or your stand mixer, begin mashing the potatoes. Cut the 2/3 cup butter into pieces and add as you are mixing. The hot potatoes will melt the butter as you mix.
- Mix in the minced dried onion, salt, and pepper. Scrape the sides as needed.
- Your potatoes should be nicely mashed by this point. Gently fold in the cottage cheese and sour cream as you mix on low or with a spoon. Don’t overmix. I like to taste test at this point and season with a little more salt &/or pepper if needed.
- Turn your cottage cheese potatoes into a two-quart casserole dish. Thinly slice the remaining 2 Tbsp butter and place around the top of your mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Keywords: mashed potatoes, cottage cheese
I hope you enjoy Cottage Cheese Potatoes as much as we do!