If you like peanut butter cookies, you’re going to love this recipe for Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies.
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies takes a delicious chewy peanut butter cookie and nestles a creamy peanut butter filling in the middle. If you like peanut butter cookies, you’re going to love this easy recipe! Mmm… so good!
I love Peanut Butter Cookies. They’re one of my favorite cookies.
I don’t normally try to improve on a good thing – why mess with something if it works? But this recipe for Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies is the exception. It’s peanut butter cookies with a peanut butter filling!
It’s no wonder this Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie is a family favorite and a hit with everyone – friends, neighbors, and family alike.
Don’t let it fool you – Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies are surprisingly simple to make too.
How to Make Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
What You’ll Need:
Measure out the peanut butter and shortening first – try my mess-free how to measure shortening tip. Cream the butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl until well mixed and fluffy.
Add the peanut butter and sugars and beat well. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture. Do it slowly or you’ll end up in a cloud of flour! It’s a lot of cookie dough.
Once your cookie dough is mixed, test out how soft it is. Can you roll it into a bowl with your hands? If it’s too sticky, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1-3 hours. I usually do.
Once it’s chilled enough to handle, roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten and make criss-crosses with a fork. My cookie dough was chilled enough and not sticky so I didn’t need to use any flour. But you may need to dip your fork in flour to prevent sticking.
Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until light golden brown. (I use very light-weight cookie sheets and needed to bake my cookies for closer to 11 minutes.) Your time may vary.
Remove to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely. This recipes makes a lot of cookies.
For the Filling:
Combine all the filling ingredients and mix well. You can add a little more milk if you need it to be creamier. This may vary depending on the humidity. You want the filling to be spreadable.
I laid out all my cookies in rows and used a cake decorator’s bag to pipe a dollop of filling on half the cookies. This was quicker than previous times when I spread the filling on with a knife. You do it however you want.
Top with the remaining cookies.
Don’t you want one?
And there you have it – delicious Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies!
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 38 mins
- Yield: about 3 dozen 1x
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5–6 tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and shortening until whipped and creamy. Add the peanut butter and sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Cover and chill for 1-3 hours.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten and make criss-crosses with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the filling: Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth. Spread on the bottom of half the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies.