If you need a portable, healthy snack that provides plenty of wholesome nutrients and energy, you’ve got to give these spiced almond butter balls a try!
Not only are these healthy, but they are so simple to put together too! I like to double (or even triple) a batch and keep the extras in our freezer for those days when I need a pick-me-up.
Spiced Almond Butter Bites
Lately, it seems I can’t get enough of almond butter. I’ve truly grown to appreciate it — and not just as a healthier alternative to peanut butter! If you haven’t tried it before, almond butter has a nutty, creamy texture that is downright addictive.
In fact, a craving for almond butter is exactly what lead to the creation of these spiced energy bites!
I created this recipe randomly one afternoon when I wanted something a little different from the usual snacks. I started adding a few random ingredients into my food processor and these simple, yet delicious energy bites were born.
After experimenting for a couple of weeks, I tweaked it slightly but this recipe is almost identical to my original experiment. I think it turned out really well and I now make these often. Don’t you love it when you get it right on the first try? 🙂
Lighter Snack Option
These almond butter bites are lighter compared to many other nut-based options that are packed with heavier nuts, raisins, dates, and other ingredients. Aside from an occasional crunch of pecan or walnut, they are smooth and lightly flavored with our favorite spices, cinnamon and nutmeg.
A Quick Healthy Snack
You can whip up a batch in under 5 minutes – easy and perfect when you are craving something sweet but want to eat a little healthier. It truly is as easy as adding items to your food processor and giving it a whirl!
There is no baking or refrigerator time needed with these either. Simple make and enjoy!
How to Make Almond Butter Balls
Okay, enough talking about how fantastic these energy bites are. Let me show you how to make them so you can taste and see for yourself!
- ground almond flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- pecan halves or chopped walnuts
- Orgain Organic Vanilla protein powder or your favorite protein powder (I have only tested this recipe with Orgain, the taste will vary with a different protein)*
- smooth almond butter with no sugar added (I use Barney’s . It tends to be more dry. If you use an almond butter that is made with more liquid, you may need to use less honey.)
- local raw honey
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
A Note About Orgain Organic Protein
*This is not a sponsored post. I just love Orgain Organic Protein – it’s been my favorite protein powder for years. It tastes delicious and doesn’t have the junk found in other protein powders – it’s dairy-free, soy-free, vegan, and non-GMO. It has no refined sugar either, instead they use stevia and erythritol to give it the perfect touch of sweetness.
Other Supplies Needed
- food processor – I had one similar to this for years until my son dropped the bowl and broke it. I’ve since upgraded to this one and love it!
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
How to Make Spiced Almond Butter Energy Balls
These directions will be short, because this is a super simple recipe to put together!
First, place all ingredients, including the honey, in the food processor. Pulse until the mixture is totally smooth.
Scrape down the sides with your spatula, and if needed pulse a few more times to combine well.
Next, it’s time to roll the mixture into the round shape. If you find the dough is too dry to hold that shape, add 1 more tbsp honey and process again.
Roll into about 24 quarter-sized balls. Then eat and enjoy!
How to Store the Almond Butter Bites
Store these in a sealed container in the fridge for up to four days. If you made a larger batch, or need more time to enjoy these, they will keep well in the freezer for up to three months.
Spiced Almond Butter Balls
These almond butter energy bites have a festive twist thanks to a blend of spices. These can be made in just minutes and make the perfect healthy snack!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: American, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Snack, Healthy, Protein
- ½ cup almond flour, ground (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ cup pecan halves or chopped walnuts
- 2 scoops (or about 3 ½ tbsp) Orgain Organic Vanilla protein powder or your favorite protein powder (I have only tested this recipe with Orgain, the taste will vary with a different protein)*
- 4 Tbsp smooth almond butter with no sugar added (I use Barney’s with no added sugar* Barney’s tends to be more dry, if you use an almond butter with more liquid, you may need to use less honey)
- 4–5 Tbsp honey, local raw if possible
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Place all ingredients, including 4 tbsp honey, in a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape the sides.
- You should be able to roll the mixture into balls. If it is too dry, add 1 more tbsp honey and blend again.
- Roll into about 24 quarter-sized balls.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
*This is not a sponsored post. I just love Orgain Organic Protein – it’s been my favorite protein powder for years. It tastes delicious and doesn’t have the junk found in other protein powders – it’s dairy-free, soy-free, vegan, and non-GMO. It has no refined sugar either, instead using stevia and erythritol.
More Energy Balls to Try
- Peanut Butter Date Energy Balls
- Chocolate Mint Balls
- Blueberry Energy Bites
- Matcha Green Tea Energy Balls
- 5-Minute Banana Snack Balls
Pin the image below to save the recipe for later!