These Lime Jello Rice Krispies treats are easy to make and perfect for St Patrick’s Day or anytime you want a fun green-colored treat. And this isn’t just any ol’ Rice Krispies Treats recipe – this one includes a fun twist using Lime Jello for added flavor.
My idea for adding jello mix to Rice Krispies Treats and creating Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats was such a hit with my family (and you!) that I had to try it for St Patrick’s Day too. And it works just as well.
If you and your kids love Rice Krispies treats, this is such an easy variation and so much fun. It’s no harder than making regular crispy treats.
In fact, Lime Jello Rice Krispies Treats are a perfect recipe for inviting your kids to help out in the kitchen. They can stir, pour, and even pat down the rice krispies treats into the pan. Even small children will love helping you “smoosh” the crispy treats into the pan and it will save you from getting your fingers sticky!
Lime Jello Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 bag (10.5 oz) mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 oz package (or half of a 3-oz box) of lime gelatin
- 6-6.5 cups of Rice Krispies
- green food coloring (optional)
Melt the butter over medium-low heat.
Add the marshmallows. Just let them sit for about 30 seconds with the heat turned down to low.
There’s something fun about watching marshmallows melt, isn’t there?
Gently stir. Add the vanilla extract and lime gelatin.
Remove from the heat before the marshmallows are completely melted. (Overheating the marshmallows will make them tough, which equals hard Rice Krispies treats.) Keep stirring – off the stove – until the marshmallows are melted and the mixture is smooth.
Now see how it’s a light green? The lime gelatin gives a nice flavor but it’s not super colorful. Especially when you add rice krispies in the next step. If you want, you can add some green food coloring for more color in your Lime Jello Rice Krispies Treats. For a vibrant green color, try my favorite food color.
Now that’s better!
Add the Rice Krispies and gently stir to combine.
Dump/spoon into a greased 13x9x2″ pan.
Pat it down gently with your hand – just enough to smooth out the big bumps. I recommend greasing your hand and doing it that way – it’s too sticky to use a spatula easily.
Let your Lime Jello Rice Krispies Treats sit for an hour or two. This allows your treats to cool and firm up while reducing the sticky factor.
When you’re ready, cut into squares and enjoy your Lime Rice Krispies Treats!
A delightful twist on the classic Rice Krispies treats, St Patrick’s Day Lime Rice Krispies Treats are lime-flavored!
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and let sit for about 30 seconds, turning the heat to low. Gently stir. Add the vanilla extract and lime gelatin and stir again. Let the marshmallows partially melt but remove from heat before fully melted. Stir (off the burner) until completely melted.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix until combined.
- Grease a 9x13x2″ baking dish and spoon the Rice Krispies Treats evenly into the pan.
- Pat down gently with a greased hand, if necessary.
- Let sit until cooled and firm, cut into squares, and serve.
For more tasty Rice Krispies Treats recipes, check out these recipes:
- Strawberry-Flavored Rice Krispies Treats
- Easter Peanut Butter-Flavored Rice Krispies Treats
- Popsicle Rice Krispies Treats
© Living Well Mom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this post for the recipe.