This homemade citrus sugar body scrub with essential oils is so easy to make. It’s also a wonderful way to pamper yourself and enjoy a spa experience right at home. Using only all-natural ingredients, this sugar scrub works as an exfoliator to remove dead skin cells, while providing moisturizing at the same time.
I also love the scent of this one – it’s uplifting and energizing without being overpowering. If you’re a fan of citrus, you’ll love this body scrub!
Erika Bragdon is a Certified Essential Oil Coach from the Essential Oil Institute.
What are the benefits of citrus oils?
Citrus oils such as lime, lemon, grapefruit, and orange offer so many benefits, which is why I specifically wanted to create this recipe using them. Here are just a few benefits that citrus oils can offer you:
- boosts mood – just like a whiff of fresh citrus puts you in a good mood, citrus essential oils have been known to decrease feelings of sadness. If I need a pick-me-up throughout the day, I often open a bottle of citrus oil and take a whiff!
- increases mental energy – feeling sluggish? This scrub can help! In fact, I often use this scrub for morning showers because I find it perks me up. In the evenings, I prefer something with oils to help me wind down, like this lavender scrub.
- can help reduce acne and breakouts – citrus oils can offer properties that help fight bacteria that is trapped in pores, resulting in clear, healthy looking skin.
- exfoliates skin – citrus is also a natural exfoliator and can help remove dead skin cells. Of course, this is multiplied thanks to the addition of sugar in this scrub recipe!
Citrus Sugar Body Scrub Supplies
Making DIY sugar scrubs is so easy! All you need to put this together is:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (I find coconut to be the most moisturizing, but if you prefer you can use avocado oil or grapeseed oil too)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 5 drops each of for a total of 20 drops:
- 1 tablespoon of orange jojoba beads, optional (I found these on Etsy)
- baby food jar or small mason jar to store it in. Be sure to use a glass jar for storage since the citric acid in the oils can erode plastic containers.
Step by Step Instructions
Now it’s time to put together this sugar scrub recipe.
To start, simply add 1/4 cup of coconut oil to a medium-sized mixing bowl. You may need to put your coconut oil in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up if it’s colder than 70 degrees in your house.
Then add about 5 drops each of lemon, lime, grapefruit, and orange essential oils or a citrus blend. There is no hard and fast rule about which citrus essential oils to use – so if you only have orange and lemon on hand, just add 10 drops of each of those two instead.
Mix the oils in well with the coconut oil – so that all of the oils will be well blended.
Next, add 3/4 cup of white sugar, a tablespoon of orange jojoba beads, and stir until well blended. The jojoba beads are optional and not 100% necessary for this citrus sugar body scrub, but the pop of color makes this sugar scrub that much more fun and also helps in the moisturizing and exfoliating process as well!
Store your homemade citrus sugar scrub in a baby food jar or a small mason jar.
This amount will fill 2 baby food jars or one jam-sized mason jar. I mentioned earlier that you will want to store citrus sugar scrub in a glass container, as the citric acid in the citrus essential oils can corrode plastic containers, plus leach plastic chemicals into your scrub (which you definitely do not want!)
The citrus sugar body scrub will keep for several months (if it lasts that long!). Make sure the lid is on tight when you’re not using it. I also highly recommend you use a spoon or something else to get the scrub out to avoid introducing any liquid or bacteria to the jar.
If you have any extra scrub supplies left, I highly recommend making this DIY coffee face scrub! It smells wonderful and leaves your skin ultra smooth and refreshed!
How to Use Body Scrub
The aroma that comes out of this citrus sugar scrub jar is truly uplifting and I highly recommend using this during your morning shower! If you are looking for something to help you wake up and put you in a good mood, then the aroma that comes from this citrus sugar scrub is your answer!
The coconut oil in this scrub is a wonderful skin moisturizer! I like to generously apply this to my legs using a circular motion, then rinse before I shave. I also find this works great on rough parts of my skin like my elbows and knees.
Plus, I also really like using this citrus sugar body scrub in the middle of the winter. The citrus smells remind me that spring is on the way and that we won’t be in this gray winter wonderland forever!
Moms, don’t feel guilty by making this to pamper yourself in the mornings! Make a double batch of this lovely homemade citrus scrub and gift it to a friend! Enjoy!
Once you try this, you’ll be hooked on scrubs. If you want to try a new variation, I highly recommend these DIY scrub bars! This multitasking bar exfoliates, washes, and hydrates skin all in one go.
More DIY Bath and Beauty Products
- Homemade Lavender Facial Sugar Scrub
- Easy DIY Coffee Scrub with Essential Oils
- Homemade Coconut Oil Lotion Bars
- Homemade Rosemary Citrus Goat’s Milk Soap
Leave a Reply