It’s been six weeks since I said “good-bye” to my old enemy, sugar, and started on a path to a new healthier lifestyle.
I’ve finally stopped craving sugar. It’s not a big deal to say “no” to something sweet now, and even though I’m still retraining myself to think healthy (no, you’re not going to the frozen yogurt store downtown), I am feeling great! I have more energy, I’m more focused, I think more clearly, and I’m far more productive.
A wise herbalist told me something very helpful before I started this journey. She said that you have to replace sugar with healthier options. Because our bodies are used to eating junk for years, it’s almost impossible to give it up with no substitution for most people. She pointed me in the direction of a couple healthy no-sugar recipes and it was like a light bulb went off for me.
Because baking and making delicious treats for family and friends has always been one of my favorite things, part of my hesitation in giving up sugar was saying good-bye to one of my favorite activities. But I realized I don’t have to give it up. I can still make tasty treats, just healthier. Oh friends, I can’t even tell you how excited this made me!
Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite new healthy recipes – Raw Lemon Coconut Macaroons.
These tasty little balls are packed with coconut, so if you’re a coconut lover, you’re in for a real treat. There’s also a light lemon flavor that delightfully compliments the coconut.
And since they’re naturally sweetened, Raw Lemon Coconut Macaroons are a satisfying guilt-free snack you can enjoy anytime.
Bonus: they take just a couple quick minutes to whip up, so you can enjoy them almost right away!
I’ve always loved lemon flavored treats, so this snack ball is truly one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations. I call them my little bites of heaven. And I’m perfectly satisfied with just one or two Raw Lemon Coconut Macaroons too.
Packed with coconut and a light lemon flavor and sweetened naturally, Raw Lemon Coconut Macaroons are a satisfying guilt-free snack you can enjoy anytime.
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut + a little extra
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 pitted dates*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a food processor until fully combined. Form into balls. (If it’s not moist enough to hold it’s form, you can add 1/2-1 more tablespoon of honey). Roll the balls into the extra shredded coconut (optional).
- Store in the refrigerator.
- *Note: Don’t buy the sweetened dates usually found by the raisins in the grocery store. Look for whole dates, like medjool dates. If you can’t find dates, you can substitute extra honey (1 tablespoon) instead.
- © Musings From a Stay At Home Mom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this post for the recipe.
Note: I can’t find the source of the original recipe anywhere though I’d love to link back. If anyone finds it, please let me know so I can give credit.