This recipe is from my 9 year old son, Nathan. But don’t let that scare you off -it’s super easy and really good! We were putting together a fruit salad recipe one day and he realized that it had all the colors of the rainbow, so he named it Rainbow Fruit Salad.
Rainbow Fruit Salad is a deliciously fresh fruit salad with your favorite fruits and no added sugar. It’s so easy to make, the kids can help!
Basically, you put together any and all fruits that you like. It’s completely up to you. And it doesn’t have to be a rainbow. But according to Nathan it is better that way. Haha.
We make this all the time because it’s so easy and my kids love it. They could eat fruit all day and so mixing it all up together makes it even more fun.
Here’s what we used:
- canned pineapple (it’s better if you use fresh pineapple, but I didn’t have any on hand), drained
Chop, cut, peel the fruit as needed. This is where the kids can help. Emily helped cut up the strawberries.
Nathan helped me cut the watermelon. Even Joshua helped pick grapes off the stems (I only found 2 or 3 stems in the bowl later!)
In fact, the only one who didn’t help was Luke. He was napping, which was a good thing, because he would have just eaten everything. My kids love fruit.
Drain the pineapple (if you used canned).
Gently combine everything except the kiwi, bananas, and lemon/lime in a large bowl.
I save the kiwi’s and bananas until the last minute because they’re more delicate. Also note that the bananas do turn brown overnight, so don’t put this together the night before. In fact, if you plan on this lasting more than a day or two, you may want to skip the bananas altogether or just slice a few into individual serving bowls.
Finally, I cut the lemon and lime in half and squeeze the fresh juice all over the fruit salad. You don’t have to do this step, but I think it adds a nice extra tang to the salad.
Scoop out a nice big bowl and enjoy your Rainbow Fruit Salad recipe! My whole family did!
- any fruits you like
- pineapple, fresh or canned (drained)
- Chop, peel, etc. the fruit as needed. Drain the canned pineapple.
- Combine everything, except the kiwis, bananas, and lemon/limes.
- Slice the lemon and lime in half and squeeze 1 slice of each over the fruit.
- Add the kiwi and bananas just before serving.
- © Musings From a Stay At Home Mom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this post for the recipe.