This super chocolatey, deliciously fudgy recipe for brownies is so good, it’s hard to tell it’s gluten-free, not to mention dairy-free too!
It will take you less than 10 minutes to whip up a batch of dairy-free gluten-free fudgy brownies, almost as quick as a boxed mix. Except you can’t find this better-for-you version in a boxed mix; it’s also refined sugar-free.
I probably made about 3 DOZEN batches of brownies over the course of the past couple of months in an effort to come up with the perfect dairy-free gluten-free brownie recipe.
I wanted a fudgy brownie (not cake-like), but I also wanted a quick-and-easy recipe. Many of the gluten-free dairy-free recipes online require steps such as cooking over the stove. I’m busy and honestly don’t have that kind of time. This combination was not easy to come up with, but I finally cracked the code.
My whole family loves this recipe and I’ve also tested it out with friends and extended family. Across the board, everyone has deemed this gluten-free brownie recipe: “Delicious!” “Wow, that’s the best gluten-free brownie I’ve ever tasted!” and so on.
If you’re looking for a delicious fudgy recipe for gluten-free brownies that are dairy-free too, look no further.
Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Brownies
Note: Just like the boxed brownies, you don’t want to overmix this brownie batter or it will NOT be fudgy. I recommend mixing by handing and not using a mixer. This is another reason why this recipe is great to have your kids help you with because they love stirring!
1 1/2 cups hot water + 1 Tbsp, almost boiling
¾ cup cocoa powder
½ cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
¾ cup coconut oil
1 egg, large + 2 egg yolks
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coconut sugar
½ cup erythritol or cane sugar
½ tsp sea salt
1 ¾ cup gluten-free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1)
½ tsp xanthan gum (omit if your gluten-free flour blend contains it)
1 – 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy-free if needed)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13” baking dish with coconut oil. Or you can use a 9×9″ or 8×8″ for even thicker brownies. (You’ll need to increase the bake time if you do.) Though I will say, you will have plenty of brownie dough to cover the 9×13″ pan (unless you or your kids eat half of it!)
Take out a large mixing bowl and whisk together 1 1/2 cups + 1 Tablespoon of almost boiling, but not quite HOT water (Little bakers should not do this first step) with 3/4 cup cocoa powder until the lumps are gone. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut oil along with 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks until the chocolate is melted.
Gently whisk in the egg and egg yolks along with the vanilla extract. Add the coconut sugar, cane sugar, and sea salt…
…and whisk in again. Lastly stir in the flour and xanthan gum (only if your brand does not contain it.)
With a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining chocolate chips or chunks.
Again, do not overmix.
Pour into your prepared pan, scraping the bowl.
Bake for 26-32 minutes or until the middle is set and a fork inserted comes out just barely clean (you may have some residue on the fork because of the melted chocolate chips. This is fine.) Do NOT over bake these brownies or you’ll lose the fudgy texture. They’ll still taste good but will be cake-like and not quite as good.
Remove from the oven to a wired rack and cool.
Cut your gluten-free fudgy brownies into squares and enjoy!
Tip: As a special dessert, we love to add whipped coconut cream on top of our dairy-free gluten-free fudgy brownies. Yum!
More Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Recipes:
- Easy Homemade Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Dairy-Free too)
- Paleo Hot Cocoa Brownies (Dairy-Free, Grain-Free)
- Tasty Chicken and Rice Casserole (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water + 1 Tbsp, almost boiling
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy-free if needed)
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 egg, large
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup erythritol or cane sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ¾ cup gluten-free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1)
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (omit if your gluten-free flour blend contains it)
- 1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy-free if needed)
- Just like the boxed brownies, you don’t want to overmix this brownie batter or it won’t be as fudgy. I recommend mixing this by hand with a spoon.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13” baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the hot water and cocoa powder until there are no more lumps. Stir in the ½ cup chocolate chips and coconut oil until the coconut oil is melted. Gently whisk in the egg and 2 egg yolks along with the vanilla extract. Mix in the coconut sugar and cane sugar/erythritol. Lastly gently mix in the sea salt and gluten-free flour until no lumps remain. Stir in 1 ½ cups chocolate chips.
- Pour into your prepared baking dish, scraping the bowl. Bake for 26-32 minutes or until the middle is set and a fork inserted comes out mostly clean (you will probably have a little bit of residue on the fork because of the melted chocolate chips. This is fine.) Do NOT overbake these brownies or you’ll lose the fudgy texture. They’ll still taste good but will be cake-like and not quite as good.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Cut into squares and enjoy.