Did you know you could make homemade body wash with as little as three ingredients? They’re all-natural ingredients too!
Not only is homemade body wash easy to make, you can choose your favorite essential oils to add!
For this homemade body wash, I chose lavender and peppermint essential oils, but you can modify this recipe to use your favorite essential oils and blends. (More on that below.)
What You’ll Need to Make Homemade Body Wash:
- 1 1/2 cup Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
- 4 tsp Organic Vegetable Glycerin
- Lavender essential oil (I use and love Rocky Mountain Oils or Eden’s Garden (found on Amazon)
- Peppermint essential oil ( Amazon | Rocky Mountain Oils)
- 16oz empty plastic container to hold the body wash. I used an old shampoo bottle, but you can purchase your own empty bottles over here.
Start by pouring 1 and 1/2 cups of Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap into your empty 16 oz. bottle. I filled my 3/4 measuring cup and poured twice, that way I only dirtied one measuring cup.
You won’t quite reach the top of the bottle – which is what you want. You need just a bit of room left in the bottle for the remaining ingredients.
Next, add 4 teaspoons of organic vegetable glycerin. The glycerin is what will make this homemade body wash sudsy! Castile soap is a gentle cleanser, but the glycerin will give you the lather you will be looking for in a smooth body wash.
That being said, if you prefer, you can leave the glycerin out. Your body wash will still work beautifully and smell amazing, but it won’t produce suds.
Now you will add the essential oils of your choosing. As I mentioned earlier, I chose lavender and peppermint. Lavender is soothing for your skin and is calming. I also chose peppermint because of its cooling effect on the skin.
Here are a few more essential oil combinations I recommend for homemade body wash:
- rose may help support your emotions and invigorate your body
- geranium may help support mood, especially in times of grief
- Ylang Ylang may calm your mood and support your nervous system.
- Melissa may soothe your mood and promote healthy energy and thoughts.
- Hyssop may aid in relaxing the nervous system and may combat fatigue while promoting clarity of the mind
- Jasmine may soothe a stressed mind and body, lifting the spirit, and clearing the mind of inferior thoughts.
- Cucumber Seed can comfort irritated skin and improve the shine of hair.
I added about 30 drops total of essential oils to my homemade body wash.
*Note – if you want a citrus blend of body wash, I recommend you getting a glass bottle to store your body wash in as the citrus oils may corrode plastic containers.
Now that you have your three ingredients in your bottle, give your body wash a good shake to get the glycerin and castile to mix well together.
Next time you jump in the shower, be sure to have your body wash pouf, as this body wash will suds up amazingly well and will be soothing on your skin!
After using this homemade body wash, I have no desire to ever use any commercial body wash product again. Just smelling the bottle of my old body wash was overbearing and harsh to me. Plus, as I gradually swap to more natural and often homemade bath, beauty, and home products, I always prefer them to the chemicals.
This body wash is not the only homemade DIY bath product you will find in my shower! I also have these that you should make and try too!