I’m always looking for ways to make holidays fun without totally stressing myself out. Valentine’s Day is no exception! One of my favorite things to do with my kids is to spend time baking with them, then enjoying our treat. This Valentine Chex mix is my go-to for this season—it’s super easy to make and my kids love it. Win-win!
This Valentine’s Day, give your loved ones a sweet treat that is easy to make but looks totally festive. This recipe combines the classic flavors of chocolate, peanut butter, and Chex cereal to create a delicious snack mix with plenty of pink for an extra festive touch.
Even better? The kids can help make this one as there’s no baking or chopping involved. It’s as simple as measuring, stirring, and pouring! Plus, this recipe is perfect to make for any Valentine’s Day party or occasion.
Doesn’t it look good? It tastes even better!
Making this Valentine Chex mix is so simple. All you need are a few simple ingredients.
- Rice Chex cereal – use Gluten Free version if necessary.
- white chocolate chips
- peanut butter – I recommend the smooth kind – I don’t think chunky will give the same results!
- butter or margarine
- powdered sugar – if you don’t have any powdered sugar on hand, it’s pretty easy to make some of your own. Simply take granulated white sugar and blitz it in your blender a few times until the texture is powdered.
- M&Ms – if you can, I highly recommend splurging for the valentine’s day variety pack with red, white, and pink candies. This classic yellow, blue, etc variety of m&m doesn’t look as good in this dish.
- pink and white sprinkles
How to Make Valentine Chex Mix
If you’ve never made it before, you’ll be amazed at just how easy it is to make chex mix!
First, add the butter, white chocolate chips, and peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl AFFILIATE LINK. Then, add it to the microwave and melt for 30 seconds. Stir, and continue melting as needed until you have a smooth mixture.
It’s important to keep a close eye on the chocolate mixture and make sure to stir often and well. I like to use a rubber spatula so I can scrape the bottom of the bowl as I stir and ensure nothing burns.
Then, put the Rice Chex cereal in a large bowl, and pour the peanut butter mixture over.
Stir it all up until the Chex is pretty evenly coated.
Put 1/2 of the cereal mixture into a 1-gallon food-storage bag and add the powdered sugar. Seal the bag, then shake to mix it up.
Next, line a baking sheet with waxed paper, parchment paper, or foil and pour the powdered sugar-coated Valentine chex mix recipe on top. Let it sit for about 20 minutes or so to dry out a bit.
In the meantime, stir candies and sprinkles into the Chex mix that is remaining in the bowl. Let it sit as well.
Now, gently mix together both Chex mixes together.
And that’s how you make no-bake Valentine Chex mix!
Pour into a festive (or regular) serving bowl and enjoy your fun valentine snack mix!
While I like this recipe as-is, I’ve made it so often that I’ve tried out a few different variations. If you want to try some additional add-ins to your Valentine Chex mix, here are a few ideas:
This mix is best enjoyed within a day or two of making it. However, it will last 4-5 days in an airtight container out on the counter.
You can also freeze this snack mix if necessary. Just place the airtight container in the freezer where it will last about 2-3 months.
How to Serve This Valentine Chex Mix
First of all, there’s nothing wrong with serving this in big serving bowls. I do it all the time! But if you want to change it up, here are a few ideas:
- mason jars – I like mason jars because they are clear, so you can still see this festive mix. Plus, the jars last forever! You can make a jar for each child, and even add a sweet tag to each one or add a card.
- cellophane bags – if you are making this mix for a class party or a larger group, I recommend serving this mix in these these inexpensive Valentine’s Day treat bags. The kids will love them!
- serve in a heart shaped bowl – they may be slightly cheesy but my kids love these heart-shaped bowls!
- mugs – another fun way to serve this to your kids is to gift it inside a mug. There are so many cute Valentine’s day mugs out there!
Switch This Up for Other Holidays
One of the reasons I love this recipe is that it is so versatile. I’ve made this for birthdays for my kids as well as other holidays.
To make this for Thanksgiving, swap out the Valentine’s Day m&ms for the traditional variety. Instead of the pink and white sprinkles, add candy corn!
If you want to serve this at Halloween, I’d recommend using chocolate chips instead of M&Ms. Then you could add candy corn or those cute candy pumpkins.
Christmas Chex mix is also delicious! I use the seasonal red and green m&ms, along with some pretty seasonal sprinkles.
Whenever you make it, this Chex mix is fabulous! Enjoy.
More Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Valentine’s Day Tic Tac Toe (Free Printable)
- Free Printable Valentine: You’re A-Maze-Ing
- Easy Valentine’s Day Trifle Recipe for Kids
- Frosted Valentine’s Butter Cookies
No-Bake Valentine’s Day Chex Mix
This easy-to-make no-bake treat will be a hit for any Valentine’s Day celebration!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: snacks
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth)
- 4 TB (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2–1 cup M&Ms
- 1/4 cup pink and white sprinkles
- Melt the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter in a small microwavable bowl, stopping to stir every 30 seconds.
- In the meantime, put the Chex mix in a large bowl. Pour the melted peanut butter mixture over this and stir gently to evenly coat.
- Next, put 1/2 the cereal into a gallon ziploc bag and add the powdered sugar. Shake to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper or foil and pour the powdered sugar-coated chex mix on it. Let it sit out to dry for about 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, stir the M&Ms and sprinkles into the remaining chex mix in the bowl and let this mix dry too.
- Add both mixes together and stir gently.
- Store in a covered container.
- Calories: 3562
- Sugar: 264g
- Sodium: 3010mg
- Fat: 170g
- Saturated Fat: 74g
- Unsaturated Fat: 80g
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 479g
- Fiber: 20g
- Protein: 60g
- Cholesterol: 158mg
Keywords: no bake chex mix, puppy chow mix, valentine’s snack,
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only by an online calculator. Actual numbers may vary depending on multiple factors such as brand, measurement, portion accuracy, etc.