Here is a homemade DIY shower cleaner that takes less than 5 minutes to make up and is the perfect daily shower cleaner that prevents soap scum buildup. It uses the disinfecting power of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, grime fighting soap, and mold and mildew preventing essential oils.
This daily shower cleaner can be sprayed in your tub and shower with no scrubbing or wiping down needed. Its sole purpose is to slow down the build-up of soap scum and grime that builds up over time and maintain a clean shower until the next big scrub down.
If you already have built-up grime in your bathtub or shower, check out this homemade soap scum shower cleaner recipe – it works wonders!
DIY Daily Shower Cleaner
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 1 tbsp dish soap – Dawn Dish Soap*
- essential oils
- 16 oz. spray bottle – glass is best as the lemon essential oil can break down plastic over time.
- glass measuring cup
*Dawn dish soap appears to have the best results, but if you prefer a more natural option, you can use Castile soap instead.
This recipe makes enough DIY shower cleaner to fill a 16 oz bottle.
How to Make this Homemade Shower Cleaner
To make your homemade shower spray…
Step #1 Add 1/2 a cup of 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol into your glass measuring cup.
Step #2: Then add 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide.
Step #3: Then add 1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap.
You can also use a milder castile soap, but I believe the Dawn dish soap is more effective.
Step #4 Add the essential oils
Now it is time to add essential oils for cleaning. Add 10-15 drops each of lemon, thyme, and tea tree essential oils. These work well in a DIY tub cleaner.
Step #5 Stir the ingredients and pour it into your 16 oz glass spray bottle.
I recommend using glass rather than plastic spray bottles because lemon essential oil will break down the plastic. This is the cleaning concentrate of your daily shower cleaner.
Step #6 Fill with water.
Now take your glass spray bottle to your sink and fill it the rest of the way with water to dilute the concentrated shower cleaner ingredients.
Go here where you can download these free printable labels for both this soap scum remover recipe and the daily shower cleaner recipe. I’ve also included a label with the ingredients for your convenience.
What are the best ingredients for a DIY bathtub cleaner?
Each of the ingredients here were chosen for their disinfectant, grime fighting or mold/mildew growth prevention.
Rubbing alcohol – a powerful disinfectant.
Hydrogen peroxide – another powerful disinfectant.
Dish soap – cuts away at any soap scum or other gunk in your shower or tub.
Lemon essential oil – helps cut through grime and soap scum.
Thyme essential oil – has properties that can help prevent the growth of mold.
Tea Tree essential oil – has antibacterial, antifungal properties that can also help prevent mold/mildew.
How to Keep Your Shower Clean & Mildew Free
As I mentioned earlier, this homemade DIY shower cleaner is to be sprayed daily in your shower. Its purpose is to slow the growth of soap scum or mold and mildew in your shower.
It is best to deep clean your shower and tub with this DIY Soap Scum Remover & Shower Cleaner first. After you have used a little elbow grease with that soap scum remover to make your tub sparkling clean, then follow up by using this daily shower spray.
Tips for Using a Daily Shower Cleaner
- Be sure to shake well before use as the essential oils will float to the top.
- Each day when you are done with your shower, spray this cleaner around your shower and tub – that’s it! No wiping or scrubbing needed.
- Spraying this on your tub/shower surface will help prevent and slow down the growth of soap scum, mold, and mildew. That way, you won’t have to deep clean as often.
Now that you have a sparkling clean tub, I recommend enjoying a hot bath using this calming homemade bubble bath with essential oils!
For More DIY Cleaning Recipes…
- DIY Soap Scum Remover & Shower Cleaner Recipe
- Easy Grease-Cutting Homemade Dish Soap with 3 Ingredients
- How to Make a Simple DIY Dusting Spray
Which Essential Oil Brand is Best?
For the best results, you will want to choose a high-quality essential oil brand that is 100% pure and offers third-party testing for quality control. Read this post for more info on how to choose essential oils that work for you and your family (beyond the brand.)
Keep Your Shower Clean & Mildew-Free with this DIY Daily Shower Cleaner
This simple homemade DIY shower cleaner with essential oils will keep your shower clean, mildew and soap scum free with a few quick sprays every day.
- Pour 1/2 a cup of rubbing alcohol into your glass measuring cup.
- Add 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide
- Add 1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap.*
- Add 10-15 drops each of lemon, thyme, and tea tree essential oils.
- Stir, then pour it into your 16 oz glass spray bottle.
- Fill water water to the top – this dilutes the concentrated ingredients.
- Shake well before each use.
*You can also use a milder castile soap, but I believe the Dawn dish soap is more effective.
Keywords: homemade DIY shower cleaner, homemade shower spray, daily shower cleaner