Welcome! I’m Erika and I’m the girl behind Living Well Mom.
I live in beautiful central New Hampshire with my wonderful husband and four lively kids, Nathan, Emily, Joshua, and Luke (ages 6-14.) I love writing, organizing, green tea, and my flock of backyard chickens.
I’ve been blogging since 2007 when I started an online journal sharing my life as a stay-at-home mom. Blogging has since grown into something much more – an outlet for my creativity and a way to share my life with other moms.
My husband is Nate; he’s an engineer and runs the technical side of Living Well Mom. He’s my biggest cheerleader, always encouraging me to press forward to my dreams. He’s also convinced that my goal is to turn him into a farmer. (Maybe.)
We have 60+ chickens and we added two goats to our little homestead last fall. (We have a cocker spaniel, cat, and bunnies too.) I also need to polish up my kinda-green thumb and start a garden. Just in my spare time, you know.
What is Living Well Mom all about?
Here at Living Well Mom, you will find practical tips for living your life healthier and happier…one day at a time!
I like to take a realistic “baby step” approach toward health and wellness because life is a journey and you don’t have to figure it all out today.
- easy recipes
- support for autism moms
- tips for stressing less and enjoying life more
- health and wellness tips for living life more naturally
- essential oils along with easy homemade & DIY ideas
- activities for kids
- parenting insight
- and more!
And all with a real down-to-earth approach, because if you’re looking for “perfect,” you won’t find that at Living Well Mom.
A Few More Things:
I’ve struggled with health issues myself for years, including fatigue, low energy, difficulty losing weight, and a host of other health issues that got worse and worse. I even had a hysterectomy when I was 29!
In 2014, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and began my journey to finally getting better. More recently, I learned I have leaky gut and I’ve overhauled my diet completely, saying goodbye to gluten, grains, dairy, refined sugar, eggs, and other foods. I now eat Paleo-ish. And finally, I’m feeling better with more energy, clarity, and strength than I’ve had in a very long time.
I love to encourage other women, especially moms. I’ve been through dark days of depression, where I felt like nothing I did mattered and I want you to know that YOU do matter. No matter where you are at in life, you have a purpose and you can make a difference.
29 Fun Facts:
- Living Well Mom used to be known as Musings From a Stay At Home Mom. I rebranded in Oct, 2015.
- I love Jesus with all my heart; He’s set me free from years of heartache and turned my life around.
- It makes me sad when I see Christians being so mean to others.
- I’m far from perfect. Definitely not Pinterest perfect. And I don’t have it all together.
- I adore organizing. I find it quite satisfying to declutter and transform problem areas in my home.
- That doesn’t mean my house is neat or clean. I hate cleaning.
- I don’t always follow my own advice. I haven’t followed my microfiber couch cleaning tip in far too long.
- I sometimes think I can do everything and then get upset with myself when I can’t. (Um hello, self. That’s kinda not possible.)
- I have no fashion sense whatsoever.
- Chicken math is a real thing. I know because I have it.
- I homeschooled my kids up until two years ago. Read here to find out why I quit homeschooling.
- I myself was homeschooled from second grade all the way through 12th. I have my diploma because I graduated through an accredited correspondence school.
- I got accepted to many schools, but I never went to college. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
- I married my wonderful husband, Nate, when I was just 19, in 2001.
- I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 years old. Click here to read the whole story.
- Friends is my absolute favorite TV show. I also like The Walking Dead, Scandal, and Sister Wives.
- I get anxious around crowds, but not as much as I used to.
- I’m originally from Ohio, but I’ve lived in New Hampshire for most of my life.
- I’m a very loyal friend, but I sometimes think people won’t want to be my friend because I’m not that great.
- I worry too much about what other people think of me.
- I don’t have a creative bone in my body when it comes to crafting or DIY projects. Most ideas here at LWM are from my awesome contributor team.
- I used to be an extreme couponer. I’m not anymore. Kinda hard to do when you’re eating Paleo in small town NH.
- I’m 5’8″, but I’m one of the shorter people in my family. My brothers tower over me and even my mom is an inch taller. My sister is about my height.
- Opera singing makes me laugh hysterically. I try not to laugh. Really, I do.
- I have a sushi addiction. It’s an awful thing because it’s so darn expensive.
- I hate ferris wheels. I don’t like heights and dangling up there swinging around scares the crap out of me. That is so NOT fun.
- The mountains are my happy place. Preferably without any people around.
- My dream is to publish a book some day. I’ve already written an ebook and I’d love to get a book deal.
- I adore comments and emails from readers. You are incredible people and I learn so much from you!
My Top 15 Favorite Posts:
- Dear Mom of a Child With High-Functioning Autism
- Easy Green Tea Latte
- When You Feel Like a Failure…
- DVD Organization: How to Fit a Lot of Movies into a Small Space
- Chore Sticks: The Simple DIY Chore System for Kids That Works
- Healthy Guilt-Free Chocolate Mousse recipe
- DIY Mess-Free Cat Litter Box (Less than $6!)
- The Simple Solution to Reducing Everyday Stress
- Green Tea Fudge recipe (Dairy-Free, Paleo)
- Why Healthy Living Doesn’t Have to Be All or Nothing
- How a Laundry Routine Saved My Sanity
- The Secret to Being Yourself
- DIY Recipe Binder (Free Printable)
- The Easy Method for Organizing Kids’ Clothes
- Chocolate Mint Balls (Paleo, Gluten-Free)
Questions or comments? Email me at Erika at livingwellmom dot com.