Lip scrubs are a fabulous way to soften and smooth dry chapped lips through gentle exfoliation and moisturizing. Even better? They are easy (and affordable!) to make, too. This quick and easy lemon sugar scrub for lips uses just 4 simple ingredients for an all-natural homemade option that works!
Lemon Sugar Scrub for Lips
If you have ever dealt with chapped, dry lips, you will absolutely LOVE this lip scrub! I love using this homemade lip scrub all throughout the year – whether it’s winter and my lips are really chapped and dry or summer and I want a little more moisture.
This particular DIY is a lemon sugar scrub. Sugar serves dual purposes, as it is a natural exfoliator and also adds a touch of sweetness. On the other hand, lemon essential oil is used for both its benefits and scent. It’s a great way to squeeze in a mini aromatherapy session and pamper yourself when you’re short on time.
DIY Lemon Lip Scrub
This is a great project to do with kids – it’s as simple as measuring and stirring! My kids love to be the testers for this one too. They can’t get enough of that sweet-tart lemon sugar combination!
What You’ll Need:
- organic jojoba oil
- raw honey
- lemon essential oil
- small plastic containers for storage
- small mixing bowl and spoon
One batch will fill 8-10 containers. You’ll have plenty of this essential oil lip scrub for yourself and some to give away too (this is a wonderful homemade gift idea!)
How to Make Lip Scrub:
1. Add 1 teaspoon jojoba oil to a small bowl
You could use coconut oil, but I chose to make this essential oil lip scrub without coconut oil since I think jojoba oil has even better moisturizing properties. But you can use fractionated coconut oil (regular coconut oil may become too solid) if you prefer.
2. Add one teaspoon of raw honey
I love this lip scrub recipe with honey because the honey is both sweet, nourishing for the lips, and because it’s only a small amount, it’s not sticky in the end and works great to help hold this homemade lip scrub together.
3. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and 5 drops of lemon essential oil
If you prefer, you can substitute the lemon for other essential oils, such as orange, lime, peppermint, even lavender oil. I actually have a peppermint lip balm recipe here.
If you like a stronger lemon scent, you may increase the drops to 10 if desired.
4. Stir your sugar lip scrub mixture well.
5. Stir until well blended.
It will take some time with the back of your spoon to get the honey and oils well mixed into the sugar.
6. Spoon into plastic containers.
This part may get a bit messy, so I suggest working over a baking sheet to easily clean up any spilled sugar lip scrub.
How to Use the Lemon Sugar Scrub
To use your lemon lip scrub, scoop some out with your finger, or with a small plastic spatula, and gently rub it on your lips.
(It tastes delicious by the way, and I caught my 5-year-old dipping her finger in the bowl when I was done making it and eating it! Be aware of that!)
Gently rub your lips back and forth or rub the scrub on your lips with your finger, while the sugar granules gently remove any dead skin.
Then rinse off your lips with a warm, damp washcloth, and follow up by adding this 3 Ingredient DIY Peppermint Lip Balm. Your lips will feel super smooth, and if you do add the peppermint lip balm, they will feel cool and tingly after the treatment!
How long does homemade lip scrub last?
All of the ingredients used in this DIY lip scrub have a long shelf life on their own. But since there are zero preservatives, I recommend storing your lip scrub in the refrigerator. It should last a few weeks if refrigerated.
Always do a quick sniff test to check if it still smells good before using.
Can I exfoliate my lips everyday?
I believe the general recommendation is to exfoliate your lips 1-2 times a week since your lips are an area of sensitive skin. But this is also a personal preference. If you want to exfoliate daily with this DIY lip scrub, and it is not making your lips too red and raw, then go ahead and try it! Just be sure to follow up with a great moisturizer after you exfoliate!
I also recommend making an at-home spa day and at the same time, treat your hair with this All-Natural Homemade Hair Mask Recipe and your face with this DIY Charcoal Face Mask Recipe! You’ll just love how soft your hair, face, and lips will feel if you do decide to use all three!
Which Essential Oil Brand is Best?
For the best results, you will want to choose a high-quality essential oil brand that is 100% pure and offers third-party testing for quality control. Read this post for more info on how to choose essential oils that work for you and your family (beyond just one brand.)
Pin the image below to save the recipe for later.
More DIY Beauty Ideas:
- Homemade Cuticle Butter | Softening & Nourishing
- Nourishing DIY Cuticle Oil with Essential Oils
- The 12 Best Essential Oils for Dry Skin
- DIY Facial Toner Pads with Essential Oils
- Homemade Cracked Heel Cream
- DIY Citrus Sugar Scrub with Essential Oils
- Homemade Body Butter With Calming Essential Oils
Exfoliating Lemon Lip Scrub Recipe
This easy homemade lemon sugar lip scrub will leave your lips soft and smooth from the natural exfoliating ingredients.
- Start by gathering your lip scrub recipe ingredients and a small mixing bowl.
- Add one teaspoon of organic jojoba oil to your mixing bowl.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of organic honey to your mixing bowl.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Stir well until blended. It will take some time with the back of your spoon to get the honey and oils well mixed into the sugar.
- To use your DIY lip scrub, scoop some out with your finger and gently rub it on your lips for 30 seconds to a minute. Gently rub your lips back and forth or rub the scrub on your lips with your finger, while the sugar granules gently remove any dead skin. Then rinse off your lips with a warm, damp washcloth, and follow up by adding a lip moisturizer.